Insuring Your Ride: Motorcycle Insurance Basics
Cruising Along Carefree – An Introduction to Motorcycle Insurance
Riding a motorcycle can be an invigorating way to traverse the roads. But just like driving a car, you need to make sure that your ride is properly insured for the open road. Motorcycle insurance is an important way to cover yourself and your bike financially in the event of an accident or other misfortunes. Here, we’ll take a look at the basics of motorcycle insurance, the type of coverage it provides and tips on how to get the best deal.
Get Good Coverage for All the Risks of the Road
Just like car insurance, motorcycle insurance provides both liability coverage and collision coverage for when the unexpected occurs. Liability coverage will help pay for any property damage or injuries you may cause to yourself or to others while riding your motorcycle. Collision coverage helps pay for damages to your motorcycle in the event of an at-fault accident. It will cover the costs of repair or replacement due to a covered event. Further coverage is available for other unique risks that come with motorcycle riding. Comprehensive coverage helps cover theft, vandalism, and hail damage, and optional coverage such as uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage and loss of use coverage can also be added.
Learn the Lingo – Insurance Terms to Know
Knowing some of the lingo used in motorcycle insurance is important, as it will allow you to make informed decisions when shopping for coverage. Here are some of the key terms you will encounter:
- Bodily Injury Liability – Protects you from damage claims associated with third-party bodily injury
- Medical Payments – Pays for medical treatment for you or any other insured rider, regardless of fault
- Collision Coverage – Provides protection for collision-related repair or replacement costs
- Uninsured Motorist – Provides coverage for property damage and medical coverage if you are hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver
Add-On Options To Improve Your Policy
In addition to basic coverage, there are a variety of options to choose from in order to tailor your policy for your individual needs. These include:
- Roadside Assistance – Helps with towing, tire changes, and other roadside assistance in the event of a breakdown
- Accessory Coverage – Aids in replacing any professionally installed accessories in the event of an incident
- Guest Passenger Liability – Covers any passengers riding with you if they are injured in an accident
- Replacement Cost Coverage – Coverage for motorcycles that are less than one year old and replaces the motorcycle with a new model of the same make and model
Riding Off Into the Sunset – Finding Affordable Motorcycle Insurance
It is possible to find affordable motorcycle insurance that meets your needs while still protecting you and your bike in case of a mishap on the open roads. A good first step is to know the make and model of your motorcycle, as it can impact the cost of your rates. You should also ensure you have all the necessary documentation, such as a driver’s license and vehicle registration. Another way to save on motorcycle insurance is to be a safe driver. In addition to driving cautiously, taking an approved motorcycle driving course can help reduce your insurance premiums. Finally, compare different insurers and look for discounts such as a multi-policy discount (if you insure your car and bike with the same insurer) or a loyalty discount (for being with the same insurer over a period of years).
Motorcycle insurance is an important part of the responsibility of owning a motorcycle and is a worthwhile investment to ensure you and your ride are properly protected. With the right knowledge and research, you can find a policy that meets your coverage needs while still staying within your budget. So make sure you take the time to research and compare plans so that you can enjoy the open roads carefree!